Celebration of historic 50th Anniversary milestone to span entire college football season
ATLANTA (Sept. 1, 2017) – The Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl will celebrate its Golden Season throughout the 2017-18 college football year, including its 50-year history, traditions and successes as the nation’s ninth-oldest bowl organization.
“It’s amazing to see how far the Bowl has come over these past 50 years,” said Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl CEO & President Gary Stokan. “It’s truly a culmination of decades of hard work from our staff, Board, volunteers, sponsors, partners and the greater Atlanta community that helped us achieve our mission of being the best of the best within the bowl industry.”
The Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl’s Golden Season kicks off with a historic weekend in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games featuring the first college games played in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium between Florida State vs. Alabama and Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech. On Jan. 1, 2018, the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl will play its 50th Anniversary game in what will be the first New Year’s Six bowl game to play on New Year’s Day (12:30 p.m. ET) and will feature an elite matchup that leads into both College Football Playoff Semifinal games. The Golden Season will then conclude with the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl playing its part in helping the city of Atlanta host the College Football Playoff National Championship.
“I can’t think of a better way to bookend our Golden Season than starting it off by moving into our new home at Mercedes-Benz Stadium with two marquee matchups in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games, and then concluding it on the grandest stage in the sport, as we do our part to help Atlanta host its first-ever College Football Playoff National Championship in January,” said Percy Vaughn, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl chairman.
To commemorate its Golden Season, the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl will conduct a series of celebrations and initiatives that will help recognize some of its historic milestones on and off the field during the past 50 years, including:
- 50th Anniversary Kickoff & Kickoff to College Football VIP Reception – Celebration of the 2017 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games and the beginning of the Bowl’s Golden Season, which will be highlighted by the donation of a 30-foot, steel-peach art sculpture dedicated to the city of Atlanta.
- In-Stadium Recognitions – Visits to various campuses of former Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl teams and players that include on-field presentations during select games.
- “Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Day” – Official “Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Day” at the College Football Hall of Fame that will include a VIP Luncheon event and the debut of a temporary exhibit that showcases artifacts and key moments from the Bowl’s history.
- Honorary 50th Anniversary Team – Team comprised of the players with the best performances in previous Chick-fil-A Peach Bowls, who will be recognized during this year’s game.
- 50 Years of Giving – Program with Atlanta Public Schools (APS) to implement a “pay it forward” campaign, where 50 students at 10 APS schools will be donated $50 each to then “pay it forward” to the charity of their choice. Additional programs with APS include the funding of academic coaches at 11 APS high schools for student athletes and partnering with the Atlanta Football Host Committee, Chick-fil-A Foundation, and College Football Playoff Foundation to launch a $2 million literacy initiative to better equip APS educators to teach literacy skills to students.
- Touchdown’s for Children’s – Partnership with Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta to launch the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Touchdowns for Children’s Healthcare (T4C) fundraising campaign, including a pledge to match the first $200,000 raised for Children’s.
- Golden Ticket Giveaway –An initiative with local Chick-fil-A operators and stores to plant 50 “golden” Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl tickets in meals. Winners will receive a pair of tickets to the 2017 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and some additional promotional gift items.
- Golden Peach Ticket Packages – VIP Ticket Packages sold to five major college football events including the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, two Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games, the SEC Championship Game and College Football Playoff National Championship.
- Lion’s Clubs International – In partnership with our founding partner, the Lion’s Clubs International vision screening and diabetes education programs will be held at elementary schools in the hometown of each university that participates in this year’s Chick-fil-a Kickoff Games and Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
“You only get one opportunity to celebrate your 50th Anniversary, and we’re looking to make the most of it” said Gary Stokan. “We want to pay homage to our past and those who helped us reach this milestone, but we also want to look to our future and how we can continue to make an impact, both on and off the field, over the next 50 years by meeting our mission of being the most charitable bowl organization.”
During the past 50 years, the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl has drawn more than 2.88 million fans to its bowl games, which has resulted in an economic impact of more than $598.4 million and $30.8 million in direct tax revenue for the city of Atlanta since 1999. The Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl has also disbursed $160 million in team payouts over its 50-year history and leads all other bowl game organizations in charitable and scholarship contributions, giving more than $21 million to organizations in need since 2002.
About Peach Bowl, Inc.:
Peach Bowl, Inc. operates the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, one of the New Year’s Six Bowls selected to host the College Football Playoff. This season, the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl is celebrating its Golden Season, including its 50-year history, traditions and successes as the nation’s ninth-oldest bowl organization. The Bowl has earned a reputation as one of the most competitive bowls in the country, with 51 percent of its games being decided by a touchdown or less. Peach Bowl, Inc. has disbursed $160 million in team payouts over its 50-year history and has increased team payout every year since 1996. The Bowl also leads all other bowl game organizations in charitable and scholarship contributions, giving more than $21 million to organizations in need since 2002. Peach Bowl, Inc. also runs the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge charity golf tournament and manages The Dodd Trophy national coach of the year award. For more information, visit Chick-fil-APeachBowl.com or follow us on Twitter at @CFAPeachBowl and find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/ChickfilAPeachBowl.